15 Stupid Things I've Done while Traveling in Asia
by Backpacking Tips Asia
Of all the crazy and dumb things I've done in my life, many of them have happened while traveling in Asia. Even though I've traveled a lot, there are so many things I take for granted and there are things that I tend to forget.
Here are 15 stupid things I've done while traveling in Asia:
1) Drink alcohol. Then drive a moped (Pai, Thailand 2007)
I magically think that I can drive while intoxicated. If that Thai man can drive after a couple of beers, why can't I? Who can I blame for the accident? God? - No. Me? - Yes.
2) Bargain too hard at the markets because I think that one dollar is so important keeping (Mumbai and Goa 2007).
When bargaining I always think that I should get a fair price. It's the principle of charging me too much compared to what locals are charged that gets me going. I sometimes forget that these people are trying to make a living.
3) Never shown patience in India (2007, 2011)
I can't blame Indians. I can't blame Indian culture. It doesn't help to nag Indians when it comes to time. So all I have to do is to be patient, and cross my fingers that something will happen on time.
Breathe and count to 10!!!
4) Book accommodation in advance, but I never turned up and I didn't even call (South Thailand 2008). I still think about it today, and I feel ashamed.
5) Argue loudly with taxi drivers in Malaysia because I think they're scamming me (2009).
When I've experienced that a few locals have scammed me, I think the whole world is setting me up.
6) Acting like a teenager when drunk in Goa, India (2007). I don't want to elaborate on this. It's just too embarrassing.
7) Give money to poor kids in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
In a naive way I think these children will benefit from the money, but instead they're drawn from school because this is a good way for parents to "earn" money.
8) Ride a motorbike with someone who has smoked pot (Southern Laos 2007). I don't want to give any names, but this happened in Pakse in south Laos. And I can't lie - I had a great time. But still, it was stupid.
9) Spend lots of money on clothing that looks good in Asia, but when I'm home - I look like a colorful hippie (2007/2008/2010/2011)
10) Think too much about my budget and can't relax (Thailand/Cambodia 2010)
11) Picking a cheap restaurant with few people inside and getting food-poisoned (Siem Reap, Cambodia 2010). Actually, it was my boyfriend who got food-poisoned but it was me who chose this restaurant.
12) Pre-book accommodation and pay for 3 nights without taking a look at the guesthouse first (Thailand 2008).
I booked accommodation on Koh Chang through a travel agent in Bangkok, and the manager told me that this guesthouse was right by the beach. When I arrived there, the guesthouse was located at least 30 minutes from the beach. I left after one night and lost the rest of the money.
13) Threw away a bottle of whisky which I got for my 25th birthday because I thought that Lao officials would bust me (Laos 2007). Dumb thought -- I should have kept it.
14) I came too close the monks during a monk procession (Luang Prabang, Laos 2007). I got some angry looks, and pictures of angry monks :-S
15) Spend too much money on bug sprays because of the scary thoughts of cockroaches and other insects crawling up my nostrils. Relax, I'm in Asia.
Have I learned from my stupid mistakes? Haha, I hope so! I've outgrown some of these "failures", but old habits die hard. Time will tell ;-)
Last updated: Sep 08, 2012