Ready for Malaysia facts?
In this article you'll find:
Malaysia is one of the popular countries to visit in Southeast Asia!
The country stretches out from Malay Peninsula to the Northern part of Borneo, and shares borders with
Thailand in the north, Indonesia, Singapore and Brunei in the south.
The capital of this multi-ethnic country is Kuala Lumpur
which is located on the west side of the Malay Peninsula.
Did you know that...
- Borneo is the 3rd largest island in the world? Borneo is actually divided between Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei.
- The highest point in Malaysia is the Kota Kinabalu mountain (4100 meters)?
- Malaysia hosts over 200 islands? Many of them are considered as the best spots for diving and
snorkeling. You have a chance of watching turtles, hammerhead sharks and frog fish!
- Malaysia has an amazing cuisine which is hard to compete with? Because of the cultural diversity,
you can basically eat anything you want! And it's cheap!
- Penang was voted by Time Magazine (2004) as the 'Best Street Food in Asia', and many Malaysians feel the same way about the
food in Penang?
- The largest flower in the world, called Rafflesia, is in the rainforest of Sabah, Malaysia?
- Malaysia was under British rule until end of the 1950's?
- The largest cave chamber is in Gunung Mulu National Park in Sarawak, Borneo?
- 14% of Malaysia's mammals are listed by The World Conservation Union as endangered?
- Malaysian law provides for a mandatory death penalty for certain drug offenses?
- Malaysia is the 7th best country in the world for expartriates when it comes to luxurious lifestyle (HSBC Bank Survey 2011)?
- Malaysia belongs to the NIC-countries, meaning it's one of the countries with the fastest economic development than other
Main religion: Islam (about 60% of the population are Muslims)
I've gathered important things for you to learn before your backpacking trip!
Do you need maps of Malaysia?
I've also added information on how to travel around Malaysia!
Welcome to Malaysia Map
Wondering about the weather and climate in Malaysia?
Here I give you an introduction to weather in Malaysia, including Sabah and Sarawak (Malaysian Borneo)!
Welcome to Malaysian Weather
Return to top
Prepare yourself for backpacking in Malaysia!
Learn basic Bahasa Malay phrases...
Read about the fundamental social customs
and you have to read about the fascinating tribes in Malaysia. I've gathered the most useful and the most interesting
facts about the major tribes.
Welcome to Malaysian Culture!
Return to top
History of Malaysia: Malaysia facts
Here's everything you need to know about the history of Malaysia. I've gathered the most relevant and
important sections of the country's history line.
Read about how Malaysia turned to a multi-ethnic country with the Malays, Indians and Chinese.
And how the Portuguese, the Dutch and the British have affected Malaysia's history.
Welcome to History of Malaysia!
Return to top
Share Your Stories, Tips and Reviews
Malaysia Recommendations and Stories
Did you enjoy your travels in Malaysia? Got any recommendations for which places to visit? Tips on where to sleep? A good Malaysian restaurant you liked?
Or maybe you own a guesthouse in Malaysia and want to promote it?
Share your story, tip or review right here! We'd love to hear about it!
PS: I reserve the right to delete a submission if it's not original, duplicate content, or if it's too short.
By original I mean the content is NOT copied from another website. That also means your own website. I will check if the content you provide is duplicate or not. Sorry for sounding strict, but I aim to deliver excellent and original content to my readers - that's my priority no. 1.
Any submission below 300 words will be deleted.
See Other Stories and Recommendations
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page. You can also comment them! :-)
Return to top of Malaysia Facts